Friday, June 17, 2011

Earthquakes

One thing I didn't know about Alaska before moving here is that it is very seismically active.  I found this out earlier today, when in the middle of a meeting, the building started to shake ever so slightly.  I was sitting next to my boss who started smirking a little bit and when I looked quizzically at him, simply said "earthquake" in a soft voice, so as not to disturb the meeting.  The earthquake was actually far south of anchorage, but we felt a few little shock waves for a couple of minutes.  It was kind of cool.  There was no real apprehension among my colleagues - only a few jokes and people trying to mess with me, saying we needed to get up.  No one left their seat, except for coffee.  Apparently little quakes are a fairly common occurrence up here.

Daily listing of Alaska earthquakes:
http://www.aeic.alaska.edu/Seis/recenteqs/index.html

I'm heading to do some Salmon fishing this weekend down in Seward.  So, hopefully I'll get some nice pictures and tales of adventure to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment