Sunday, July 17, 2011

Golf (Alaskan Style)

Notwithstanding the facts that I've only recently taken up golf and have visited only a select few golf courses, I can say with confidence that golfing in Alaska (for the brief season it's available) is unparalleled.  There are a few things that you just don't get anywhere else.  The mountain views, rivers and streams, and of course, the wildlife are out of this world.  I heard a guy say that "God really rolled up his sleeves when he made Alaska."  Religious beliefs aside, the sentiment captures the atmosphere perfectly.






There are a couple of black bears that live on Moose Run Golf Course.  Here is a mom with her two cubs, the first one is hard to make out, but is right ahead of her.  Considering the luck I've had with animals and golf (both frisbee and club), I feel fortunate not to have hit one of the cubs.  I hit a goose the other week and it led to a very serious confrontation.  One of the guys I was golfing with did give one of them a scare and the little guy climbed straight up a tree.  My friend decided not to play the ball, because the momma bear had noticed us by this point and seemed to be keeping a keen eye on us.  He dropped another ball in the middle of the fairway and shot with some alacrity, though I still felt he should have counted that as a penalty stroke.  Anyway, when we got up to the green, the bears made their crossing.

1 comment:

  1. Cool stuff. I can't speak to the wildlife, but there are golf courses in the greater Seattle area with views like those.

    ReplyDelete