Sunday, August 28, 2011

Gull Rock

I spent this past weekend in the woods outside Hope, AK.  The time was absolutely incredible.  We (me and Arnie) hiked about six miles in and set up camp next to a cliff overlooking Cook Inlet.  The weather was okay the first day and the views were still incredible.  Waking up there this morning with sun out in full bloom was something else entirely.  An entire pod of Beluga Whales swam through the inlet, passing right below me.  The sounds and sights of the whales made it an experience that is difficult to describe.  I did my best to catch some pictures, but the whales surface only briefly and in unpredictable patterns.  You can see what I have below, along with the rest of the pictures from the trip.


The key to proper outfitting for any trek is the right adventure hat.  Sure, food, water and shelter are all important, but you can last without them if need be.  The adventure hat not only serves as a deterrent to bears (creates an intimidating look), it also increases sperm count, so if one is left is some sort of doomsday scenario, it is easier to repopulate the earth.  It also looks cool. 


Practicing my "bear glare."  I am looking at nothing.



 View of the mountain side of my campsite.


Cliff side.





This is the best I could do as far as the whales go.


He steals my beef jerky, I take it away from him and somehow I'm the bad guy.






No comments:

Post a Comment